Position: Coding Manager
The Coding Manager, Multi-Specialty Physician Services is responsible for administering operations of Health Information Services for physician clients while managing and directing the physician coding services team.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
▪ Manage a team of diverse, highly competent remote physician Coding Quality Assurance Specialists
▪ Communicate performance standards to staff
▪ Assign resources
▪ Manage daily production to ensure timely service per contract requirements and departmental standards
▪ Develop, implement and monitor key performance indicator metrics; responding to indicators of poor performance to ensure optimal performance and coding outcomes
▪ Respond to indicators of poor performance to ensure optimal performance and coding outcomes
▪ Respond to internal and external stakeholder requests related to departmental operations; assess what is needed, execute requirements and communicate actions and/or results
▪ Serve as key member of the Computer Assisted Coding project team
▪ Serve as key member of the ICD-10 transition team to ensure a successful transition for HAP and our customers
▪ Serve as key member of the CODIA project enhancement team
▪ Lead or participate in physician and facility Coding Services initiatives
▪ Act as a principle in the research, development, implementation, maintenance of and compliance with HAP Health Information Services policies and procedures
▪ Assist in the maintenance of customer specific coding guideline documentation
▪ Determine optimal staffing to meet current and anticipated customer demands
▪ Interview potential candidates for hire, assessing qualifications and make hiring decisions; work with Human Resources to complete the new hire process
▪ Administer an effective new employee orientation program
▪ Ensure staff complete annual training requirements and obtain/maintain appropriate professional credentials
▪ Provide educational support and training for coding and documentation practices for staff and
customers as required
▪ Maintain departmental time and expense submissions and time off requests for staff
▪ Ensure physician Quality Assurance Specialists job descriptions are reflective of current responsibilities
▪ Define and administer a career progression program for physician Coding Specialists seeking
▪ Ensure management tools (i.e. metrics, review templates) are reflective of current responsibilities and
▪ Complete and administer meaningful performance reviews on time
▪ Issue and monitor corrective performance action plans as indicated to ensure optimal performance;
escalate performance management plan as appropriate for continued non-performance
▪ Maintain coding knowledge and credentials by keeping up to date with current trends and changes in
physician and facility coding and reimbursement
▪ Assist in implementation and communication of trends and changes to customers, other HAP
departments and physician and facility Coding Services staff
▪ Participate in meetings and/or seminars; disseminate information learned to customers, other HAP
departments and facility Coding Services staff
▪ Participate in development of outbound coding and quality assurance related communications, such as
newsletters and press releases
▪ Maintain professional credentials as a condition of continued employment
Knowledge and skills:
▪ Possess effective management skills
▪ Ability to work in a continuously changing environment
▪ Willingness to learn and share knowledge with others
▪ Strong self-confidence in interactions with clients, staff, co-workers and leadership team
▪ Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office 2010; specifically, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and
▪ Strong time management and organizational skills
▪ Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work in multiple situations
▪ Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills .
▪ Demonstrated understanding and compliance with HIPAA privacy requirements
Education and Work Experience:
▪ Bachelor’s degree in health information management, business administration or related field, strongly
preferred. Associates degree with commiserate experience in more of these disciplines considered.
▪ One or more professional credentials required: RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P or CPC
▪ Minimum three years experience in a managerial role in a health information or coding department
Physical and Emotional Requirements:
▪ Ability to meet HAP’s attendance standards
▪ Ability to sit for long periods of time while focusing on work
▪ Ability to maintain calm demeanor and project a positive attitude
▪ Project and maintain professional demeanor
▪ Ability to handle stress appropriately
Note: This is a remote position.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Healthcare Administrative Partners is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity in the workplace.
Interested candidates may send their resume to email@example.com.